A lot of work and time has been invested in the last couple weeks and we can see many differences in the house. The outside of the house is completed as I finished installing drip guards above the windows earlier this week. We had decided to put an extra barrior above the windows using small pieces of flashing and wood to help divert water away from the window frames. We noticed that a lot of water “flows” down the walls and windows due to the designed roof overhangs which are very very small.
The only other work to be completed outside is installing a different piece of metal for my peak, as the original one was higher than we wanted and we worried about being too tall to take the house down the road legally. This should be a quick job to finish. Also the doors on the front storage area need to be completed.
This past weekend my painting professionals and I polyurethaned all of the interior of the house. It took a couple hours but looks nice and now the pine boards are sealed and protected. There will be more to polyurethane as we finish the interior. Before the polyurethaning I completed the last two windows that needed trim work. Now all the windows and the sliding glass door have the trim work finished.
The polyurethaning supervisor.
As we did this work my contractor, dad, and I have been planning a lot and piecing together the interior layout. The appliances and utilities are slowly finding space inside the house. My planned layout has changed numerous times during this process, and probably will shift more as we build. This planning has been one of the hardest parts of building the tiny house as there is a lot to consider in such a small space.
There are so many decisions and tradeoffs to make. We had to consider venting through the wall, while avoiding the studs, for the furnace, hot water heater, and the refrigerator. Then you have to consider the propane lines for the furnace, refrigerator, and water heater. After that we worked on where to place the water tanks and how to run the plumbing. The toilet and holding tank also had to be fit into all this plumbing work. Also the plumbing must exit to the septic system, which all takes planning and time to work out. All utilities and appliances now have “homes”, but the work to install them and connect everything is ongoing. Below are views of the furnace and hot water heater located below the platform. The refrigerator will sit on the platform to make it easier to access.
One of the hardest parts of installing the utilities and appliances is cutting holes in the house, we worked so hard to seal and insulate. I really disliked this thought and process but it is necessary. The outside of the house shows some unfinished venting for the hot water heater and furnace.
One positive of cutting the walls was realizing how thick my insulation is. Below is the piece of insulation we cut out for the hot water heater vent.
Recently, I bought the counter top and dad began building the cabinets under the counter to hide the water tanks and also planned where the drawers will go. Also I bought a propane stove and have it in place and waiting to be connected.
Finally, tonight I built the framework for the day bed/couch. This built in couch will have drawers built in it to store clothing. We built it higher than a normal couch to give us more space for the drawers.
Built in furniture and cabinets have the benefit of being exactly what fits and works for this tiny space and helps to maximize storage spaces. The down side is that all this building takes more time and work to finish before I can move in.
The finish work to make the house liveable is a slow process. I’m glad the house has come this far, but can’t wait to complete the work, move in, and see what living in this small space is really like.